January 01 2020 at 12:00AM
January 2020 | Across the Board: A New Year's Message from the CEO
New Year's Message from the CEO
Greetings and Happy New Year to our San Francisco Bay Area Project Management family!
I want to take this as an opportunity to extend my heartfelt thanks and appreciate you all for your support and achievements last year.
The accomplishments are extraordinary:
- Delivering more than 100 events including roundtables, evening events, workshops, PMP/PgMP boot camps, etc..
- Rolled out the Mentoring Program - 80+ members benefited in our 2019 cohort
- Introduced Member Onboarding Virtual Sessions
- Hosted Region-7 Conference
- Partnered with Golden Gate University, Hult School of Business, UC Berkeley Extension and other learning institutions to better serve the student community
- Improved our sustainability efforts with activities including a beach clean-up, Mount Sutro Trail, and Habitat stewardship, etc
- Continued to grow our community by adding 100+ members this year
- Increased volunteer opportunities and engagement for our member community
On a personal front, I’m deeply grateful for the incredible support I have received from the community this year, helping me navigate and create a strong volunteer team. I am inspired by your untiring spirit to serve and learn from every opportunity presented.
Much of the credit for our chapter's success is due to you, our supportive members. I would like to thank each and every one of you for your hard work, passion, and the part that you have played in our chapter's success. I look forward to your continued support as, together, we take PMI San Francisco Bay Area Chapter into 2020. Once again, I wish you and your families a very happy and prosperous year!
Vijay Ratthinam, CEO, PMI San Francisco Bay Area Chapter
Across the Board: New Year 2020 and Our Strategy
Hope your holiday celebration has been enjoyable. It is incredible to think that a decade has passed and a new decade is about to start with many great things.
Let me begin with some of the highlights of 2019:
- The Project Management Institute San Francisco Bay Area Chapter (PMI-SFBAC) has been fruitful with our member events along with a successful kickoff of our new mentorship program at the beginning of the year.
- The Region 7 summit was hosted in March by our chapter and was a huge success with attendance by all 18 chapters for the first time in many years. This awesome conference was held at the Hyatt Embarcadero, San Francisco with many interesting learning sessions from all across our regional chapters.
- The PMI San Francisco Bay Area Chapter board members met with Sunil Prashara, PMI CEO and PMI Global board members after their board retreat in San Francisco where introductions and creative conversations took place.
- The board reviewed the results of the surveys made during the August Membership Appreciation Day and the Annual General Meeting held in the Exploratorium in order to better understand and serve their members.
After the board strategic ends retreat in September, the outcome of the survey and the retreat was summarized to the following chapter goals:
- to make available reliable and accurate project management
- to foster growth through network opportunities
- to provide supportive relationship
- to offer relevant knowledge.
In October, most board members and operational leaders attended the Leadership Institute Meeting held in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, a special year for PMI as it was PMI's 50th anniversary celebration!
We ended this year with the Mentor Appreciation and Volunteers Holiday Party, which was well attended. The former and current CEOs were both recognized for their good deeds to the project management community by Golden Gate University.
And now for 2020 here are the upcoming activities:
- We are looking forward to the new PMI San Francisco Chapter Branding launch this year including a new Chapter Logo following branding changes announced by PMI Global at this year's LIM conference in Philadelphia.
- The election slate for 3 new board members with title "director-at-large" for term 2020-2023 is in progress went out on January 6th for members to place their votes, and everyone is highly encouraged to participate and vote for their candidates. In addition to the 3 new directors-at-large board members, the election will also include the changing of board titled officers for the one-year term positions for our new President, Treasurer, and Secretary.
- The 2020 Chapter strategy will focus on increasing and retaining existing membership, participating in global activities and obtaining global recognition as a chapter, and continuing to scale up related to technology, processes, marketing and membership satisfaction.
“Our strategy is simple: deliver value, be relevant, grow. Let’s do great things together.”- Mark A. Langley, PMI President and CEO (Strategic Plan, 2017).
Implementing our strategic plan to create the “association of the future” is one of the six priorities that Sunil Prashara wants to focus on his 100 days as PMI CEO. Let us move forward into the next decade together and make PMI SFBAC an “association of the future” as well as the “PMI chapter of the future.”
Zenaida Alejandrino-Navarro is the CFO and Treasurer of the PMI San Francisco Bay Area Chapter.
Catch Us on Social Media!
Visit our sites. “Like” us today!
Calendar of Events
Scopemasters | January 21, 2020
San Francisco Job Search Roundtable
Turning Strategy into Outcomes
Upcoming Highlighted Event: February 26
PMI SFBAC & PMI SV - Joint Dinner Meeting with Two Featured Speakers
Come enjoy a collaborative evening dinner event, hosted jointly by the PMI San Francisco Bay Area Chapter and the PMI Silicon Valley Chapter! Network with chapter associates, enjoy a tasty buffet dinner, and hear from two engaging speakers on the all-important topics of salary negotiation and leading with integrity. In addition to all this you also earn 2 PDUs toward your certification renewal.
Have an idea or feedback? Want to write an article for PDU credit? Need to promote a chapter event? Contact us via email! We answer within 24-48 hours.
- For article contributions - Newsletter Editor: Sheena Chen, email@example.com
- For ideas & feedback - Director of Marketing: Lorena De Benedittis, firstname.lastname@example.org
- For educational event promotions & mentorship inquiries - VP of Professional Development: Khaled Turkmani, email@example.com
- PMI-SFBAC CEO: Vijay Ratthinam, firstname.lastname@example.org