January 09 2024 at 10:00AM
Volunteer Spotlight | Prachi Joshi
Tell us about yourself and what do you do?
My name is Prachi, and I currently hold the role of Podcast Program Manager for Mentorship Masterminds and Program Manager for the Professional Development Team at PMI SFBAC. I thrive in managing multiple responsibilities not only within the chapter, but outside also outside PMISFBAC. My journey into project management started with a certification program from prestigious UC Berkeley Extension.
What is your role volunteering with the PMI SFBAC and what have you accomplished in the past year / with your time with us?
I began my volunteer journey with PMISFBAC as the Events Project Manager in August 2022. Over the past year, I've discovered incredible opportunities for personal and professional growth within the chapter. In June 2023, Mahesh Despande, VP of mentorship, presented a wonderful opportunity to pioneer a new chapter initiative, leading to my role as a Podcast Program Manager. This experience has allowed me to lead two prominent teams, witnessing the incredible growth of the podcast since its inception. It's been a rewarding journey since I have joined PMI.
How did you hear about the PMI SFBAC and what made you decide to volunteer?
While pursuing my Project Management certification at UC Berkeley, I received guidance from one of my instructors to join PMI local chapters. Joining PMISFBAC proved to be a pivotal moment in my professional life. Volunteering with non-profit organizations, including PMI-SFBAC, provided me with a new perspective on applying project management skills across various industries. Notably, I spearheaded a transformation within PMI-Silicon Valley, implementing strategic problem-solving, enhancing event attendance, and organizing special initiatives for chapter members. I have been volunteering for about 2 years now, gaining valuable insights and contributing to the chapter's growth.
What advice would you give to someone interested in beginning their career in project management?
When it comes to stepping into the field of Project Management, I would suggest:
- Self-Motivation: Always stay self-motivated. It's a driving force that keeps you focused and resilient in the face of challenges.
- Continuous Learning: Embrace a mindset of continuous learning. There's always something to learn from everyone and every role you take up.
- Consistency and Persistence: Being consistent and persistent in your efforts is crucial. Consistency breeds success, and persistence helps overcome obstacles.
- Challenge Yourself: Don't be afraid to challenge yourself and step outside of your comfort zone. Growth happens when you embrace challenges and push your boundaries.
What are your favorite activities outside of work?
Beyond my professional endeavors, I find joy in various activities:
- Engaging in Creative Pursuits: Recently, I showcased my artistic endeavors in an art exhibition at a San Jose gallery. It was a fulfilling experience to witness the appreciation from fellow artists and visitors, leading to the sale of some of my artworks. Beyond painting, I indulge in website design during my free time. I'm not only adept at platforms like Wix and Adobe but also skilled in using HTML, CSS, Python, and Flask for more intricate web design projects.
- Traveling: My passion for travel is deeply rooted in my past professional experience within the aviation industry. It has not only been a professional journey, but also a personal love for exploring new places.