In order to ensure you maintain this high energy level and make the most of your relationship with your mentor, some of the keys to your success will include, but are not limited to:
- Commitment to the relationship
- Minimum 1 hour per week meeting with your mentor (and fellow mentees)
- Virtual attendance for the Cohort Kick-Off and Appreciation events (min. 90 mins/ event)
- Your mentor has set aside valuable time and is committed to the relationship, and you should be too.
- Owning the Relationship
- Come to the relationship with a list of ideas and topics you would like to cover and try to set up as much of the organizing as possible.
- The mentorship program will provide guidelines but you should bring your own thoughts to work within the guidelines.
- Come prepared to the meetings to make the most out of your and your mentor’s time. The more you put into the preparation, the more you’ll get out of it.
- Ask thoughtful questions as they will foster great answers from your mentor.
- Not bringing your ego to the relationship
- Be open to feedback, and be ready to be coached.
- Be willing to have open and honest discussions.
- Be willing to push back when necessary, but do so in a tactful and respective manner, as this is part of growth and required in business.
- Being prepared to learn and grow
- Be open to learning, taking advice and growing.
- Do not come to the meetings and simply be a “yes” person.
- Having realistic expectations
- Your mentor will not be able to open every door for you, but being open and honest about what you expect to get from the partnership will go a long way in ensuring you get the most out of your mentoring relationship.
- Showing gratitude towards your mentor
- Do not be afraid to let your mentor know how much you’re enjoying working with him or her as they appreciate getting feedback as well.
We do hope you enjoy and get the most out of your experience in the PMI-SF Bay Area chapter’s Mentorship Program. It can’t be said enough, the more you put into your relationship with your mentor, the more you will get out of it to grow, learn and reach your goals. Welcome, and we hope you have a great 2021.
PMI-SF Bay Area Mentorship Program