I want to be a Mentor
Coaching Circle Mentors Guideline
This opportunity will allow you to make an even bigger impact as you will be mentoring up to four Mentees at one time for the duration of the mentorship. These Mentees will be matched to you based on your common topic of interest and years of experience.
Qualities that we're looking for in a mentor include, but are not limited to:
- Commitment to the relationship
- Minimum 1 hour per week meeting with dedicated support for mentee’s success
- Attendance for the Cohort Kick-Off and Appreciation events (min. 90 min/event)
- Participation in a knowledge sharing session (virtual, min. 90 mins/month)
- Mentor’s Retrospective - Regular one-on-one pulse check meeting with the core Mentorship team member (virtual, min. 30 mins/month)
- Approachability, availability, and the ability to listen
- Establish a set day and time for regular one-hour meetings that respect both your time and your mentee’s time. This will build the trust necessary to allow him or her to reach out for support and keep an open line of communication throughout the process.
- Respect your mentee's time and abilities in the process by preparing for each mentoring session.
- Ask your mentee what topics or subjects he or she wants to talk about beforehand. Once you know, you should outline the key points you want to focus on ahead of time, and have a plan for discussing strategies against the key points effectively and efficiently.
- Ability and willingness to communicate what you know
- Clearly communicate the lessons you’ve learned over your career, guide him or her through strategies you’ve delivered on, and provide intricate details that make sense for your mentee.
- Honesty with diplomacy
- Provide your mentee with candid and straightforward feedback, regardless of how easy or difficult the feedback might be.
- Be willing to debate and discuss in a tactful way.
- Provide useful, honest guidance while ensuring that your mentee takes control and ownership of the strategies to make his or her own decisions as to the next steps or the best course of action.
- Objectivity and fairness
- Ensure that there's no hidden agenda or ulterior motives involved in this relationship.
- You must retain your objectivity and fairness, while not influencing any processes that you may be involved in.
- Compassion and genuineness
- You must also be selfless about sharing what you know.
- Delivering your strategies to the key points originally discussed by modeling positive behavior and offering guidance and advice should be your compass that guides all your actions.
- Have minimum 10 years of experience in Project/Program Management and/or Leadership.
What is a Mentorship Coaching Circle?
- 1 Mentorship Coaching Circle = 1 Mentor to 4 Mentees (max.)
- Each Coaching Circle Cohort is 8 weeks long
- 6 topics based Coaching Circles
How do I register for a Mentorship Coaching Circle in 2021?
- Complete the registration form
- Indicate your preferred topics of interest
- Share years of experience in the topics of interest
What are the benefits of a Coaching Circle?
- Make a bigger impact by guiding up to 4 mentees honing their skills on a specific topic
- Advance your coaching skills by encouraging dialogue
- Build a network of like-minded professionals
- Earn PDUs for your participation
If you’re interested in enrolling in Cohort 3:
- Please complete the application by August 21st, 2021
- Attend an info session on August 26th to set expectations, get access to valuable tools and learn more about how you will lead your Mentorship Circle
- If you are selected to lead a Mentorship Circle, you will participate in a training session with an experienced coach
- You will receive a framework as a guide and a library of resources for you to work with during the 8 weeks cohort to ensure optimum outcomes
- We will do our best to match you to Mentees based on your preference.
- Circles are subject to change and will depend on the level of interest from the Mentee applicants.
PMI-SF Bay Area Mentorship Program